James A. Harrison Profile
James A. Harrison was born in Minnesota. In 1984 he relocated to Florida to attend the University of South Florida where he graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering. Soon thereafter, he earned the degree of Master of Civil Engineering while working as a design engineer.
After years in engineering design and construction, he returned for law school at Stetson University, College of Law where he graduated with honors in May, 2000. Upon graduation, he was employed by a private firm in Bradenton, Florida, primarily practicing in land use, zoning, local government and real estate law, as well as community associations (condominium, homeowner and mobile home).
As it was a mid-size firm, Mr. Harrison was exposed to a wide variety of legal topics and issues, including contract and document negotiation and drafting, environmental permitting and permit violations, local government law and code enforcement and litigation support, among others. In 2010, Mr. Harrison decided to open his own practice, which is the topic of this website. In 2011, Mr. Harrison also began accepting BP/Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Settlement Claims. If you have any questions or desire any additional information, please utilize the Contact Tab or send an e-mail.
Licenses and Organizations:
Florida Bar #0304270
Florida Civil Engineer #0048979
Member, Manatee Bar Association
James A. Harrison, P.L. is a Florida professional company located in the Sarasota Bradenton area on Florida’s west coast. The firm’s areas of practice include community associations, land use, local government and real estate law.
Mr. Harrison has been exposed to a wide variety of legal topics and issues, including contract and document negotiation and drafting, environmental permitting and permit violations, local government law and code enforcement and a great variety of issues that involve condominiums, homeowner associations and mobile home parks from initial document filing to covenant enforcement. Due to low overhead, he offers competitive rates and is willing to discuss various compensation methods.Contact Now For A Free 30 Minute Phone Consultation
University of South Florida
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE)
University of South Florida
Master of Civil Engineering (MCE)
Stetson University College of Law
JD May, 2000; Cum Laude; Class Rank: 7/133
The Florida Bar, # 0304270
Law Clerk, Pinellas County Attorney’s Office, Clearwater, FL
Researched and drafted legal memoranda in areas relating to local government: contractor negligence, ad valorem taxation, property forfeiture, Florida’s homestead exemption, Personnel issues, Florida’s Sunshine Law. Reported to the County Attorney
Legal Intern, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, St. Petersburg, FL
Reviewed administrative records, pleadings, motions, appellate briefs and replies to prepare case summaries for the General Counsel’s office; researched Endangered Species and Fisheries Management issues.
2000 – 2009
Firm Associate, Porges, Hamlin, Knowles & Prouty, P.A., Bradenton, FL
Performed and responsible for a wide variety of files and clients. Activities and responsibilities included but are not limited to:
- Drafting and Negotiating Contracts and other Documents; Dispute Resolution During Executory Phase;
- Prepared Easements and Complex Easement Agreements;
- Review and Revision of Construction Contracts; Review of Lien Documentation during Project Construction;
- Researched Code Enforcement Actions; Communicated with Local Governments and Worked to Resolve Same;
- Performed Research for Due Diligence Periods for Real Estate Purchases; Prepared Analysis for Clients;
- Prepared Original Condominium Document Packages and Amendments thereto; Filing same with State;
- Analyzed Community Association Enforcement Issues; Resolved Same;
- Prepared Original Homeowner Association Documents and Amendments thereto;
- Prepared and Filed Applications and other documents for Submission to Local Governments, including, but not limited to, Land Development, Right of Way Conveyance and Reimbursement for Same;
- Interpreted Complex Real Estate Contracts During Disputes between Buyer and Seller;
- Performed Legal Research Regarding the Above Activities; Prepared Legal Opinions for Clients and Legal Memoranda;
- Met and Communicated with Clients and Local Governments as necessary regarding Files and Filings;
2009 to Present
Attorney at Law, James A. Harrison, P.L., Longboat Key, FL